Saturday, February 26, 2005

Postulating in Cleveland!

I’m writing this mostly for the folks I met from Prentice-hall this weekend. Fun!

However, I am sure they are convinced that I’m a dork. Two reasons I believe this:

First, I went to Cleveland, in February, and my warmest article of clothing is a sweater. It wasn’t snowing where we were, as indicated on weather.com but it rose to a blazing 32 degrees on Friday. My sweater was about as effective as the mesh-coverall my wife wears to the beach or lake. It was the first time I was in really cold weather since I started shaving my head 4 years ago. Noticeably missing from my wardrobe was my knit-cap and fake dreadlocks. I didn’t even have a standard beanie-cap.

As any expert physiologist will tell you, you lose 70% of your heat through your head. Okay, I made that percentage up and I don’t actually know if it would be a physiologist who would tell you that. But it is someone who spends considerable time in a white-lap coat, reading charts and postulating! (the use of word postulate is for Ramona).

Ramona and I discussed how repeating the word postulate starts to make it sound like some back-alley, disgusting activity and that you shouldn’t postulate at dinner, certainly not in mixed company.

I usually shy away from wearing a beanie the first time I meet people anyway. Certainly not in a business context. Between my shaved head and goatee, I tend to look like I’m about to carjack someone anyway. When I add a black beanie to the mix, I become absolutely sinister.. Sure, I’m usually smiling but with the beanie it just makes me look crazed.

I’ve been thinking that maybe combo colored beanie might be better. Green and yellow – something disarming. Then, when I do need to carjack someone, they won’t expect it.


This might be the look I need.

In addition to the “no coat in Cleveland” example of geek-hood, there is my stubborn usage of my wife’s Jordache, feminine garment bag. It has a soft pinkish impressionist flower print over subdued green tones. Quite pretty if you ask me. I tote this thing proudly through the airport, hanging on my rolling laptop case, like a gender-confused metro-sexual (that was for the crew driving back to the airport). Now, I know what you’re thinking. He also colors his wife’s hair and likes cooking. Don’t get me started on the Chinese Zodiac (inside joke).

I made it through the 14 hours in Cleveland without freezing. And the derisive glances from other, boring black garment-bagged business men didn’t even bother me. Brutes! They were just jealous. Me and the ladies, gallivanting through the airport to catch our plane. I’m sure it was a fetching site.
I hope it was as fun for the PH folks and that I am invited to postulate in another town.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:50 AM

    Matt, as one of the "PH ladies," i have to tell you--i'm not sure about the beanie look. keep searching. nice to have met you. i did notice the flowery garment bag, but thought it best not to say anything. i think it speaks to you being man enough to use the tools at hand, regardless of look. Natalie (PS. May i suggest a coat? perhaps a little rain jobbie? you will need one if you come to Boston or another Northern event!)

    ReplyDelete