Monday, February 21, 2005

Book Geeks

My wife called me while I was at a client’s site the other day. It was obvious that she was very excited but in a place she couldn’t talk. In a hushed voice, but with barely contained enthusiasm, she said…”The new library is open. You have to come down. It is so cool! They have books, DVDs, CDs, everything. And it is all new!”

You see, my wife and I are book geeks. It has been this way since we met. Invariably, a hot date for us consist of dinner and then running to the local bookstore. We walk through the door, say goodbye to each other, and meet up an hour or two later to fight over which books the other gets to buy. Perhaps not the traditional model for a loving marraige but I sure hope I get to fight over books with her for many years to come.

Over the past couple of years, the closest library has been about 30 minutes drive. We love that library and aren’t trying to be disloyal, but the new library is about 5 minutes away.

The New Desert Broom Library is built in a atrium like setting. Free wireless internet, outdoor patios, conference rooms, study rooms, computers, and a computer class. And most of all books!




The bridge entrance to the Desert Broom Library

My wife spent about 4 hours there, with the kids, and then the next day, she went back with me and we spent another 2 hours. I ended up with 10 items, four books on ADHD, as research for my latest book project, a book on business communications (also research for a book project), 4 music CDs (Simon & Garfunkel, John Mellencamp (Cougar??), Sarah Brightman, & James Taylor), a DVD (Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid), a book on Six Sigma (very short, yes!) and a book on consulting.

And apparently, we are breeding a new generation of book geeks. Three of our kids can’t wait to go back. The oldest, is less convinced. If I have imparted nothing else to my children, book geekdom would be a great accomplishment.


No comments:

Post a Comment